Although there’s mounting evidence that links statin drugs to a series of health issues including muscle pain, diabetes and even cancer, one in four Americans over the age of 45 are still using them as a conventional therapy against high cholesterol levels.
Why Statin Drugs May Be Bad For You
To begin with, statins deplete your body of CoQ10, leading to devastating results. People who take statin drugs without an adequate CoQ10 supplement are at a serious health risk. This unfortunately is what the majority of people on statins do.
CoQ10 is a cofactor (co-enzyme) that’s vital for the creation of ATP molecules essential for cellular energy production. The thing is organs such as your heart have higher energy requirements, meaning it depends on more CoQ10 to function properly. As this co-enzyme is secreted in the liver, it also takes part in keeping blood glucose under control.
Theoretically speaking, statins are not necessary for reducing blood cholesterol levels and exposing your health at serious risks. 75% of your cholesterol is actually produced by your liver influenced by your insulin levels. This means that by optimizing your insulin level, you will automatically optimize your cholesterol.
In other words, simple dietary and lifestyle changes can make a world of difference for safely regulating your cholesterol.
9 Ways To Lower Your Cholesterol Levels Naturally
- Get enough vitamin D. This vitamin has been found to be extremely beneficial for normalizing your cholesterol levels and preventing heart disease.
- Cut down or, ideally, cut out, grains and sugars from your diet. Instead, include more fresh leafy greens and vegetables.
- Get enough high quality fish oil.
- Fortify your diet with more heart-healthy foods such as olive oil, coconut and coconut oil, organic eggs, avocados, raw nuts and seeds, and organic grass-fed meats.
- Do regular daily exercise. Even a 20-minute power-walk will make a difference.
- Reduce your exposure to stress. Or, use stress-relieving techniques such as meditation or yoga.
- Cut down excessive smoking or drinking alcohol.
- Get enough quality sleep.
- Take red yeast rice as directed (Thorne Choleast 2-4 caps daily).
This techniques provide a holistic approach to reducing high blood cholesterol levels with long-term effects unlike statin drugs, which lower your cholesterol at the expense of your health.